[Samba] Excel error

Dominic Iadicicco diadicic at gmail.com
Tue Aug 22 19:18:36 GMT 2006

Hello all,

 My network users are receiving an error when they try to save changes to an
execl file that is stored in a samba share. The error is "The file
filename.xls may have been changed by another user since you last saved it.
In that case, what do you want to do? save a copy or Overwrite changes.  Now
they can  all read and write to this share and it only happens with excel
files so far.   Word docs and others saves do not generate this error.  Now
Microsoft claims this is a feature but I have not been able to generate it
with a peer to peer share I have setup between two winxp machines.  It only
happens when they try to save to any share on the samba domain.  This server
is running RH9 with samba 2.2.7a.  The clients are winXP Pro Srv2 with MS
office/Excel 2002. Is this a known issue with this old version of samba?  Is
this a samba issue?

If anyone could point me in the right direction I would greatly appreciate
it.
Also if you need any more info on the setup please let me know.

Thanks all

Dominic Iadicicco
South Country Library
Bellport NY