[Samba] How to map a user to a specific uid?

David Shapiro David.Shapiro at bcbsnc.com
Tue Aug 22 18:25:46 GMT 2006

I am using:

workgroup = BCBSNC
        realm = BCBSNC.COM
        server string = User management Server
        security = ADS
        password server = ad.bcbsnc.com
        idmap backend = rid:BCBSNC=100000-200000
        allow trusted domains = No
        log level = 0
        log file = /usr/local/samba/var/log.%m
        max log size = 50
        name resolve order = hosts wins lmhosts bcast
        socket options = TCP_NODELAY SO_SNDBUF=8192 SO_RCVBUF=8192
        preferred master = No
        local master = No
        dns proxy = No
        wins server = svcmc02, svcmc03
        ldap ssl = no
        idmap uid = 100000-200000
        idmap gid = 100000-200000
        template shell = /bin/ksh
        template homedir = /home/%D/%U
        winbind separator = +
        winbind nested groups = Yes
        winbind use default domain = Yes
        aio read size = 1
        aio write size = 1
        nt acl support = Yes
        username map = /usr/local/samba/lib/users.map

[homes]
        root preexec = /usr/local/samba/bin/mkhome.sh %D %U
        path = /home/%D/%U
        valid users = %D+%U
        read only = No
        browseable = No

If is do an ls -la of the /home/MYDOMAIN, I see

drwxr-x---   3 joe users           256 Feb 24 13:04 joe

But nfs mount joe on the remote system appears as uid of 100000 instead
of the uid 785757 (joe's unix uid)

In that, it is using the rid id not the unix user's uid.

David

David Shapiro
Distributed Systems
Unix Team Lead