[Samba] How to map a user to a specific uid?

David Shapiro David.Shapiro at bcbsnc.com
Tue Aug 22 13:40:10 GMT 2006

I have aix with 3.0.21c samba with the following smb.conf:

[global]
        workgroup = MYDOMAIN
        realm = MYDOMAIN.COM
        server string = User management Server
        security = ADS
        password server = ad.mydomain.com
        idmap backend = rid:MYDOMAIN=100000-200000
        allow trusted domains = No
        log level = 0
        log file = /usr/local/samba/var/log.%m
        max log size = 50
        name resolve order = hosts wins lmhosts bcast
        socket options = TCP_NODELAY SO_SNDBUF=8192 SO_RCVBUF=8192
        preferred master = No
        local master = No
        dns proxy = No
        wins server = wins01, wins02
        ldap ssl = no
        idmap uid = 100000-200000
        idmap gid = 100000-200000
        template shell = /bin/ksh
        template homedir = /home/%D/%U
        winbind separator = +
        winbind nested groups = Yes
        winbind use default domain = Yes
        aio read size = 1
        aio write size = 1
        nt acl support = Yes

I need to nfs share the samba home directory of a user on the samba
server over to another server, but the uid it is giving is for example
100000 instead of the standard uid for the user on all the other
servers.  How can I make samba use whatever uid I want for the user
(i.e., the uid the user is known as on other servers)?  Is there a map
type command or file I can use?

David

David Shapiro
Distributed Systems