[Samba] Timestamps -- XP vs. w2K?

Ken D'Ambrosio kend at xanoptix.com
Mon Aug 21 15:07:13 GMT 2006

I know, I know: "Never trust the end user."  Nevertheless, he may have a
valid point; if so, I'm somewhat confused: when XP simply *looks* at some
files, it updates their timestamps.  This isn't just stuff like .XLS,
where it might be saving metadata, autosave info, or somesuch; this is
things like .JPG files.  Why is that?  It's confusing the users, 'cause
they assume that the timestamp means the last time something *changed*,
not was simply accessed.  Can't really blame 'em.  Is there anything I can
do to stop this behavior?

Thanks!

-Ken