[Samba] Cannot log in to "public" folder on Gentoo

Guillermo Gutierrez ggutierrez at marketscan.com
Fri Aug 18 20:54:37 GMT 2006

Hello,
I have a Samba server v3.0.23b setup on a Gentoo Linux system kernel
v.2.6.17-r4.
I am running into the problem that when I try to access the shared
volume "public" it prompts me for a login but wont let me login.

I have no issues getting into my home directory by supplying my login
when prompted, this only happens with the public share.

I have followed the samba instructions on the Gentoo.org docs page for
using it with clamav for online access scanning.

Here is a link to that document:
http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/quick-samba-howto.xml

Here are the contents of my smb.conf file

[global]
        workgroup = MARKETSCAN
        server string = %h, Gentoo Samba Server %v
        interfaces = lo, eth0
        bind interfaces only = Yes
        log level = 5
        log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m
        max log size = 50
        os level = 2
        preferred master = No
        local master = No
        domain master = No
        wins server = 10.11.3.177
        ldap ssl = no
        socket address = 10.11.3.210
        vscan-clamav:config-file = /etc/samba/vscan-oav.conf
        map readonly = no
        vfs objects = vscan-clamav

[public]
        comment = Public Share on %h
        path = /home/samba/public
        valid users = +users guillermo
        read only = No
        force create mode = 0777
        force directory mode = 0777

[homes]
        comment = Home directory for %u
        valid users = %S
        read only = No
        create mask = 0700
        directory mask = 0700
        browseable = No

I would greatly appreciate any and all help. Please let me know if I
needto provide any additional info.

Guillermo Gutierrez
Network Administrator
Market Scan Information Systems, Inc