[Samba] Strange Usermapping problem with 3.0.23b

Matthias Schündehütte msch at snafu.de
Fri Aug 18 19:52:10 GMT 2006

Yesterday evening I upgraded my FreeBSD 5.5-RELEASE Server from Samba
3.0.22 to 3.0.23. This gave me a LOT of work today... :-(

This is what I found so far:

My Samba-Server is member of a large ADS-Domain. After the upgrade,
file based Usermapping didn't work anymore... better: it worked TWICE.
(I once opened a PR for that a few years ago :-). So, with LogLevel 3:

<DOMAIN>\<WinUser> is mapped to <UnixUser>
<DOMAIN>\<UnixUser> is mapped to <DefaultUser>

(I have a line "<DefaultUser> = *" in my 'smbusers.map'-file)

These two lines are immediately following each other, no other log
lines in between...

I said this happens on 3.0.23, I verified the same behaviour on 3.0.23b
as well.

The very strange thing (at least for me :-) is, that somehow it seems
to be dependend from the name resolution (I have 'wins host bcast' in
my smb.conf):

If I address the Sambaserver with its WINSname (\\SambaServer),
usermapping happens TWICE.

If I use its IP-Address, usermapping happens ONCE (i.e. correctly).

If I use the DNS-Name of the AD-Domain (\\sambaserver.ad.company.com),
usermapping happens TWICE.

If I use another DNS-Domain (\\sambaserver.location.company.de),
usermapping happens ONCE (i.e. correctly).

I found this more or less by accident, fortunately I'm DNS-Admin of
'location.company.de' :-) so I could try a different DNS-Name...

Somehow it seems to me, that the DomainController submits some strange
informations which irritates my SambaServer...

Needless to say that this didn't occur with samba-3.0.22. It doesn't
occur on another large ADS-Domain either (where I had my Test-Machine),
but this is of no use for me, I cannot switch the Domain the server is
in... :-(

Any Ideas anybody? Some other test to narrow he error down? I'm willing
to cooperate as much as possible, the Samba-Server has >100 productive
users...

Thanks in advance - Matthew

--
Ciao/BSD - Matthias

Matthias Schuendehuette <msch [at] snafu.de>, Berlin (Germany)
PGP-Key at <pgp.mit.edu> and <wwwkeys.de.pgp.net> ID: 0xDDFB0A5F