[Samba] Problem with Domain SID

Andre Timmermann _samba.darktim at darktim.de
Thu Aug 17 10:51:39 GMT 2006

Hi Marcus.

Am Donnerstag, den 17.08.2006, 08:48 +0200 schrieb Marcus Haarmann:

> The problem is: the whole samba environment was not changed at all. So why
> did the SID change ? I cannot say when the SID changed so there might be no
> available backup of the secrets files any more.
> And: is there a way to retrieve the old SID of the PDC from the registry of
> any client machine (all the other machines are still unchanged and the users
> can log into the domain on their machines).
> Then we could set it to the old value and all the other machines would be
> trusted without a rejoin for the domain and loss of profile data.

Is ist possible, that this special Windows-Machine was offline for a
longer time?

A friend of mine told me, that WinXP changes its SID from time to time
(2 weeks i think), but the last entry is kept. This would make the
machine unusable after 4 weeks of downtime.

So perhaps your client changes his SID and thinks that your server is
not trusted any more.

Another idea: I noticed, that if you pull the network cable off a
running winXP-Machine, it is possible that it loses its
domain-membership.

Greetz,
Andre