[Samba] smbprint to Win XP

Adam Williams awilliam at mdah.state.ms.us
Thu Aug 17 00:05:37 GMT 2006

i have a script called /usr/bin/printfilexp that contains:

#!/bin/sh
# Print from Unix on a printer on SMB network.  An assumption is that
# 'printer' was posted as a passwordless "share"
#
client="$USER"   # client name here...
pshare="printer"    # and here printer share name
printfile="/tmp/smbspool.$$"

cat $1 > $printfile
if [ -s $printfile ] ; then
  ( echo "translate" ; echo "print $printfile" ; echo "quit" ) \
  | smbclient "//$client/$pshare" -U $USER
fi
rm -f $printfile
exit 0

and to print something you just do /usr/bin/printfilexp whatever.txt

but your unix shell name has to be the same name as your windows xp
computer name under my computer and your printer has to be shared as
printer on the printer sharing tab.