[Samba] How to access an automounted home and read/write with AD user

David Shapiro David.Shapiro at bcbsnc.com
Wed Aug 16 21:39:12 GMT 2006

hello,

I have samba 3.0.21c on an aix 5.2.0.7 server configured to use active
directory authentication.  However, I need to do something a little
funky:

The server with samba I will call: sambaserver
A server with a user's home directory that is automounted on a few
other servers: homeserver

The user has on homeserver his files that he works on that he
conveniently has automounted on development, test, qa servers.  He is
used to checking out code from a code repository into a samba share that
maps to his home directory on homeserver.  This way he can move code
around between development, test, qa.  This worked fine when he had old
non-active-directory samba on the homeserver.

Now, we need to remove samba from homeserver and put it on a dedicated
samba server.  It uses active directory.  I set up automount on the
sambaserver to allow the user to automount his home directory on the
samba server.  I then tried to use samba to share the automounted home
directory.  The problem is that the home directory is owned by the unix
user on the box, but the user is connecting to the share with their
active directory account.  The home directory mounts with mode 077,
which makes it so I cannot even read in the directory even when I use
force user option (it must be connecting as root and then trying after
the fact use the force user option I guess).  If I change the directory
mode to 022, I can read in the directory, but I still cannot write/read
in the directory.  I am at a loss as to what user it really is
connecting as and why I can read but not write.  I tried a map.user file
to map the domain user to the unix user.  That did not help either.

David

David Shapiro
Distributed Systems
Unix Team Lead