[Samba] pam_winbind says I need new password

Matt Sellers indigoblu at gmail.com
Tue Aug 15 21:11:48 GMT 2006

Hello all,

I have a pretty large DC and am using winbind for our linux workstations and
im having a preculiar issue. Not all accounts but some...including mine are
recieving the pam error to change password.

example...

WARNING: Your password has expired.
You must change your password now and login again!
Changing password for user msellers.
Changing password for msellers
(current) NT password:

Changing my password works, but reconnecting results in the same prompt,
thus going over and over again.

Aug 15 16:02:38 ctilinux2 pam_winbind[1081]: user 'msellers' granted access
Aug 15 16:02:38 ctilinux2 pam_winbind[1081]: user 'msellers' OK
Aug 15 16:02:38 ctilinux2 pam_winbind[1081]: pam_sm_acct_mgmt success but
PAM_WINBIND_NEW_AUTHTOK_REQD is set
Aug 15 16:02:38 ctilinux2 pam_winbind[1081]: user 'msellers' needs new
password

Im never able to login with this account.  Ive looked at debug 10 of winbind
and cant see anything exciting.  Ive seen a few posts in the past but no
resolutions.... any ideas?

Thanks Much!
Matt Sellers