[Samba] "Rejecting auth request from client" error after power outage

Mark mrote at hotmail.com
Tue Aug 15 03:06:49 GMT 2006

We had a power failure in our small test lab and the samba server
crashed after the UPS shutdown procedure didn't work quite like it was
supposed to. Upon reboot, the services started fine but none of our 3 XP
test machines were able to login to the Samba PDC. The Samba logs showed
the following...

  _net_auth2: creds_server_check failed. Rejecting auth request from
client FLUENT02 machine account FLUENT02$

No problems at all in the previous 6 months with the same setup other
than an older samba version, even surviving a few power outages along
the way.

Since this is a testing setup I tried restoring all the samba files in
/etc/samba and /var/lib/samba from last night when everything was
working and then restarting the services but we still couldn't login.
Finally just removed and readded the machines to the domain.

Is there something obvious that I missed? I would have thought that
restoring the files would have worked but no luck unless I missed a
critical file or something. Like I said, this is a testing/staging area
so it was no big deal but I'd like to find out if there's an easier way
than readding all the machines in case it happens to our production
server. We're a pretty small shop with only 23 client machines but I do
the admin stuff plus my engineering duties so I try to be prepared as
best I can for disaster but apparently I failed this time! And I will
test the UPS shutdown procedure so hopefully this won't happen again.

Fedora Core 4
Samba 3.0.23b using tdbsam