[Samba] print command disabled when smbd linked against CUPS - why?

Jurriaan Kalkman Jurriaan.Kalkman at zrt.nl
Fri Aug 11 09:31:39 GMT 2006

I know the 'print command' directive is disabled when printing via
CUPS,
the man page says so.

Can anybody explain _why_ this is the case?

My situation: I'm administering a package that shares a server with
other
applications. This proprietary unix package needs some help printing
with
the layout etc. so various sed/awk scripts need to take place before
printing. This has been running using a print command in smb.conf for
many years now, with great results. This was a server dedicated to our
package.

Now, after an update, we're going to share a Suse SLES 10 box, and
samba
is linked against CUPS. If CUPS were disabled, all printers must be
configured manually - that wouldn't raise my popularity with the boys
from
central IT administration.

Why isn't is possible to have a few printers with 'print command' and
all
other printers using CUPS? I don't understand the rationale behind
this
decision.

Or do I really have to define a dozen specialized CUPS filters, where I
have
the script that works with 'print command' ready for testing now? That
doesn't sound too attractive either.

Thanks,
Jurriaan