[Samba] RPM reporting running two versions of Samba at the same time

Paul Gienger pgienger at ae-solutions.com
Thu Aug 10 19:14:04 GMT 2006

> I forced an install of 3.0.23 samba, common, and client and now rpm

Here is your first problem, and let this be a lesson to you, forcing is only
recommended in very few cases.  The only one that comes to mind is when
doing a system upgrade via yum you will generally have to force something in
as step 1 like yum or RPM itself, I can't remember which.  You're probably
going to have to --force some more stuff to fix it now.

> reports that I have two versions of Samba running at the same time.
> Samba seems to be running, shares are available and access is
> restricted properly. I havn't dared try to join the domain until I
> figure out  what is really going on on my system.  When I inquire of
> rpm what is installed this is what I get.
>
> # rpm -q samba
> samba-3.0.23a-1.fc4.1
> samba-3.0.23-1.fc4
This is not the same as 'running'.  You have really made a mess of your
system though.  Most likely you overwrote every file that had to do with
samba .23a with the .23 files and that is what is truly 'running'.  Since
the versions are so close very few files are probably still from 23a.

> Any insight or explaination is greatly appreciated.
What I would suggest to you now is to remove any samba packages, you'll
probably have to use --force since you'll have dependencies flying all over
the place, and then reinstall your distribution files.  Get your system up
and running to where you had it before.  Once you're there, get the newest
version from the samba site and follow the instructions on building the
newest rev.  It's not terribly hard, and I'm sure many on this list are
quite aware of every little step along the way.