[Samba] RPM reporting running two versions of Samba at the same time

Doug Coats dcoatshca at gmail.com
Thu Aug 10 17:20:21 GMT 2006

I was trying to work through a PDC problem that I was having with
3.0.23a noted in bug 3964.  I didn't know how to apply the offered
patch and my distro, FC4, has not offered an update yet to 3.0.23b so
I thought that I would revert to a previous version that is not
affected by this bug.

I forced an install of 3.0.23 samba, common, and client and now rpm
reports that I have two versions of Samba running at the same time.
Samba seems to be running, shares are available and access is
restricted properly. I havn't dared try to join the domain until I
figure out  what is really going on on my system.  When I inquire of
rpm what is installed this is what I get.

# rpm -q samba
samba-3.0.23a-1.fc4.1
samba-3.0.23-1.fc4

I have run rpm --rebuilddb and I get the same result.

Any insight or explaination is greatly appreciated.

Thanks All!
Doug