[Samba] pam_winbind fails with "never expires" password

Bill Greene bill at rubgrp.com
Wed Aug 9 22:18:52 GMT 2006

I'm helping a school district set up Samba for staff/student shares.  The
PDC/BDCs are running NT4.   Samba is v 3.0.23a on Fedora Core 5
boxes.  winbind is mapping the users.  Access to shares through Windows
clients or smbclient works perfectly.

There is a desire to have some faculty access the server using, e.g., an
ssh client (mostly for remote file access).  When I try to log in using an
account that has an old password but with "password never expires" set, I
get the message "Your password has expired" and I can't log in.  If I reset
the password (and presumably reset the expiration date), I can log in with
no problem.

So everything works except when an account with an old password tries to
log in, even though "never expires" is set.  I've tried a number of
alternatives in the pam and samba config files to no avail.

Any direction would be appreciated.  Thanks!

-- bill

Bill Greene
Rubicon Group Ltd
Oak Brook Illinois USA