[Samba] samba server print objects view in windows

Anni Evanoff aevanoff at pdx.edu
Wed Aug 9 16:12:49 GMT 2006

I have an unusual problem and forgive my ignorance with Linux since I am a
windows sys admin.  This is my first taste with Linux and I have been really
enjoying it. I recently setup a samba print server 3.0 (member server, not a
PDC) to be used by Windows clients.  Everything seems to be working good
(joined to domain, uploaded printer drivers, objects appear in "Printers and
Faxes") The only thing that is happening now is when I view the printer
objects in Windows after establishing a connection to my samba server, the
"Printers and Faxes" applet view seems to constantly refresh every five
seconds..and with a list of about 2500 printers, it is nearly impossible to
scroll down to a specific printer and connect to it before the refresh.
This is obviously not a viable solution for users.  Is there a parameter in
the smb.conf file that I am missing?  See it below.  I did a network capture
to see exactly what is going at this interval and multiple DCERPC requests
seems to be what is happening.  Can someone explain this phenomenon to me?

Also if someone has the time to explain how I can take the printer admin
line out, since it gives a deprecation error. I know I can get rid of the
printer admin parameter with a permission assigned to an AD group (or should
it be a group defined on the Samba server?) called the
SePrinterOperatorprivilege, right?  I have been using net rpc rights
(learning) to assign the perms but am having difficulty.it seems to take my
"grant" command but when I list the users and their rights, there are, 0:
users and 0:groups defined on the Samba server.  Do I need to create this
"Admin" group ON SAMBA versus AD and assign this privilege?  I am a bit lost
with this as you can tell.

#=================== Global Settings =================================
[global]
netbios name = smbprinttest

# workgroup = NT-Domain-Name or Workgroup-Name, eg: REDHAT4
workgroup = PSU
local master = no
change notify timeout = 600

# server string is the equivalent of the NT Description field
server string = PSU UNIX File Server

# Security mode. Most people will want user level security. See
# security_level.txt for details.
security = ADS
realm = psu.ds.pdx.edu
enable privileges = yes

# You may wish to use password encryption. Please read
# ENCRYPTION.txt, Win95.txt and WinNT.txt in the Samba documentation.
# Do not enable this option unless you have read those documents
encrypt passwords = yes

# Using the following line enables you to customise your configuration
# Set default directory and file permissions
create mask = 0764
directory mask = 0775

# Configure Samba to use multiple interfaces
# If you have multiple network interfaces then you must list them
# here. See the man page for details.
bind interfaces only = YES
interfaces = 127.0.0.1/24 131.252.120.34/24

# Most people will find that this option gives better performance.
# See speed.txt and the manual pages for details

# This option is important for security. It allows you to restrict
# connections to machines which are on your local network. The
# following example restricts access to two C class networks and
# the "loopback" interface. For more examples of the syntax see
# the smb.conf man page

;hosts allow = all   #commented to default to ALL
hosts allow = 131.252.

#hosts deny =  68.248.130.84,
68.4.59.176,68.72.142.161,68.90.163.155,162.83.168
.63,218.170.170.96
#hosts deny = all

# It should not be necessary to specify the print system type unless
# it is non-standard. Currently supported print systems include:
# bsd, sysv, plp, lprng, aix, hpux, qnx
printing = lprng

# If you want to automatically load your printer list rather
# than setting them up individually then you'll need this
load printers = yes
show add printer wizard = yes
#use client driver = yes
use client driver = no

# on SystemV system setting printcap name to lpstat should allow
# you to automatically obtain a printer list from the SystemV spool
# system
#printcap name = /usr/local/bin/lpstat
# you may wish to override the location of the printcap file
printcap name = /usr/local/etc/lprng/printcap
printer admin = dfetter, bass, aevanoff

# this tells Samba to use a separate log file for each machine
# that connects
log file = /usr/local/var/samba/logs/%m.log
log level = all:0

# Put a capping on the size of the log files (in Kb).
max log size = 2048

# the options below are what will implement the recycle bin.
vfs object = recycle
recycle:repository = /recyclebin
recycle:touch = Yes
recycle:keeptree = Yes
recycle:versions = Yes
recycle:noversions = *.tmp,*.temp,*.o,*.obj,*.TMP,*.TEMP
recycle:exclude = *.tmp,*.temp,*.o,*.obj,*.TMP,*.TEMP
recycle:excludedir = /recyclebin,/tmp,/temp,/TMP,/TEMP

#======================== Share Definitions ==========================
[printers]
        comment = PSU Campus Printers
        path = /usr/local/var/samba/spool
        writable = no
        guest ok = no
        printable = yes

[print$]
        comment = Printer Driver Download Area
        path = /usr/local/var/samba/printdrivers
        browseable = yes
        guest ok = yes
        writable = yes
        write list = aevanoff