[Samba] smbfs vs. cifs on Win98

Gary Dale garydale at torfree.net
Tue Aug 8 18:30:18 GMT 2006

I'm not sure is you can mount a VFAT share using cifs. Why don't you try
it? In Win98, share something then in your /etc/fstab, create an entry
with type as cifs.

smbfs is no longer maintained, so don't use it if you don't have to.
NOTE that smbfs is not part of Samba. You don't need to be running Samba
to mount smbfs or cifs shares. The packages for them are probably not
part of Samba in your distribution, so installing Samba won't give you
smbfs or cifs either.

There error you are getting could be because you don't have cifs
installed. As for the ip address vs. hostname, just make sure the host
is defined in /etc/hosts.