[Samba] VFAT filesystem support vs. smbfs

John Mason jmason at lim.com
Tue Aug 8 15:29:28 GMT 2006

I'll forward your question to the list.

-----Original Message-----
From: tim.schoenfelder at gmail.com on behalf of Tim Schoenfelder
Sent: Tue 8/8/2006 10:07 AM
To: John Mason
Subject: Re: [Samba] This list is a black hole.

I'm having a problem with Samba, I cannot connect to my Win98 PC via FC5.
It seems that cifs doesn't support vfat from what I've read at the Samba
site and smbfs isn't supported in the binary that I've downloaded via Yum.
I tried googling and experimenting to make it work, I'm not sure what to do
next...

Any suggestions as to what I can do?

BTW, I posted this following email the other day:

I've read that smbfs has been depreciated for cifs for Win2k and WinXP,
however, I see that older vfat OSs such as Win98 are not supported via cifs
filesystem.

I have installed the current samba binary on Fedora Core 5 via yum and
noticed that the mount command doesn't recognize smbfs either.

I used the following syntax:
mount -t cifs //192.168.1.111/C /mnt/htpc -o user=WORKGROUP/Username,nocase
The above command entry prompted for a password

and then

yielded the following error:
mount error 112 = Host is down

BTW, smbtree finds the hostname and share, however, word on the net is that
a person has to use an ip address to make cifs work.

Using the following command:
mount -t smbfs //HTPC/C /mnt/htpc -o
user=WORKGROUP/Username,pass="password",nocase

yields the following error:
mount: unknown filesystem type 'smbfs'

smbtree sees the win98 share correctly as //HTPC/C

Does anyone know how I can mount my Win98 share with the new samba?
--
Tim Schoenfelder
http://timschoenfelder.com

On 8/8/06, John Mason < jmason at lim.com> wrote:

> Seems that many questions get answered... but most to the original
> requestor... not the list. Plus, many of us watching don't know as much as
> the esteemed 30 or so "experts".... so we can only help on that which we
> have tried.
>
> Are you having a problem? I'll try to answer it.

Tim Schoenfelder
http://timschoenfelder.com