[Samba] Samba Point-and-install driver location problems

Roshan Sembacuttiaratchy rns.samba.n.semba at xoxy.net
Mon Aug 7 22:08:09 GMT 2006

On Mon, Aug 07, 2006 at 11:13:29AM -0500, Gerald (Jerry) Carter scribbled:

> Roshan Sembacuttiaratchy wrote:
>
> > when I click on the printer properties and look
> > at the printer driver path in Windows, I see a
> > problem though, as the UNC name for the printer
> > server is prefixed by  *4* backslashes, instead
> > of 2.  ( \\\\SATURN\print$\........ ).  I'm
> > guessing this is what then causes Windows to
> > behave very strangely and  continue to prompt
> > for printer drivers.
>
> Nope.  That's not the problem.  The code has been that way
> for a really long time.  I'd recommend looking at a
> level 10 debug log from smbd instead.

I'll check that out tomorrow and post again with the results.

> > The printer driver was installed through rpcclient,
> > using the following command line:
>
> I know I started this but I really wish people would
> install using a real Windows client instead.

Ideally, I would have wanted to do that too, but despite being
authenticated to the Samba machine as root, the "New Driver" button was
disabled.  This happened with both the stock Samba Ubuntu package, as
well as the one built from standard samba sources.

Thanks for your input,

Roshan

--
http://roshan.info