[Samba] samba, ldap and sco.. help please?

David Korsgen dkorsgen at gmail.com
Mon Aug 7 19:42:30 GMT 2006

The subject pretty much sums it up. SCO, Samba and LDAP.. only, we're not
using LDAP. I got dropped into the middle of this project with little
information about much of anything and I'm not a native to SCO and I'm
unfamiliar with Samba, however I will be as informative as possible.

# uname -a
SCO_SV smbpsrv1 3.2 5.0.6 i386

# /usr/local/samba/bin/smbd -V
Version 2.0.7

The admin of this box wants to upgrade Samba to version 3.0.14 in the hopes
that it will fix some performance and access/compatability issues, however
I'm running in to some problems with a missing ldap library. To my
knowledge, we're not using ldap for password auth. And the old version of
Samba doesn't require this library. When we try to run the new version of
samba out of the test directory, trying to place the old config file where
it would be called from (assuming /etc/samba or /usr/bin/.. to be honest, we
aren't sure where the new config goes and there is no documentation for it),
we get the error message;

# /sambastuff/samba/dist/usr/sbin/smbd
dynamic linker : /sambastuff/samba/dist/usr/sbin/smbd : error opening
/usr/lib/libldap-2.2.so.7
Killed

With my limited experience with not only Samba, but SCO as well, I'm at a
loss. I come from a Linux and FreeBSD background and SCO is considerably
different for me. Any help or insight would be *greatly* appreciated.

Thanks,
David