[Samba] user.SAMBA_PAI and ACL inheritance

S. J. van Harmelen sander.vanharmelen at isp.solcon.nl
Mon Aug 7 11:17:16 GMT 2006

I have just enabled user_xattr on the partition where my samba share is
on. Now when I use getfattr I see the extended attribute user.SAMBA_PAI
on my files. But ACL inheritance isn't taking place...

When I (from within Windows) click on Properties > Security > Advanced
an then enable "Allow inheritable permissions..." on a certain file,
then the attribute user.SAMBA_PAI disappears and the ACL rights are
inherited?!

Changing "map acl inheritance" between yes or no does not change this
behavior.

Can someone enlighten me on how this should work (let files inherit
acls) an why this worked when the share was mounted without user_xattr?

I use samba 3.0.21b-1 by the way... and here is my smb.conf:

[global]
        security = ads
        password server = server01
        encrypt passwords = true