[Samba] Windows Explorer hangs when clicking on a samba share

tacallah at insb.uscourts.gov tacallah at insb.uscourts.gov
Sun Aug 6 04:10:41 GMT 2006

I am new to samba and Linux.  I mapped a drive from my Windows XP
workstation to the /opt directory on the Linux box.  When I am in Windows
Explorer and I am viewing the samba drive, I can click on any directory or
file on that drive, and the speed is very fast (like a local drive).  If I
click on another drive and click on the samba drive again after five
minutes or so, my workstation hangs for about 15 seconds until the
directories from the samba drive finally show up.  It appears to be
authenticating my connection.  After the waiting period, all is fast
again.  On other hand if I walk away from my desk for awhile and Window
Explorer is already on the samba drive, there is no hanging when I return
and click on something on the samba drive.  In short, my workstation hangs
when initially clicking on the samba drive from Windows Explorer.  Does
anyone have any ideas?

I have also noticed that if I go to DOS and change directory (cd), it
comes up quickly, and I can even edit a file on the samba drive from DOS
with no problems.  If I bring up Windows Explorer immediately after
editing the file in DOS, my workstation hangs again.

Below is a condensed version of my smb.conf.  I have also tried adding
SO_KEEPALIVE IPTOS_LOWDELAY to the socket options.  That did not help
either.

[global]
  server string = Samba server
  log file = /var/log/samba/%m.log