[Samba] Two samba installation on the same host

Ulf Norén ulf.noren at miun.se
Sat Aug 5 14:09:12 GMT 2006

On Friday 04 August 2006 14:51, paul.barmettler at ch.schindler.com wrote:
> Dear all
>
> For some reasons I would like to run two samba installations (/opt/samba1
> and /opt/samba2) on the same host.
> Is such a dual installation supported?
> If yes, what do I have to consider?

I have done that for years without problems.With even more instances.

You just have to compile two instances with differnet install-prefix.
Then you need to configure a second IP-address on the network interface.
something like
	ifconfig eth0:1 ip-address ........

In smb.conf configure samba to bind to that second interface using the
parameters "socket address" and "interfaces"

And of course you need different netbiosnames...

/Ulf