[Samba] cracking smbpasswd

Julian Pilfold-Bagwell jools at oss4all.plus.com
Sat Aug 5 01:41:11 GMT 2006

Hi all,

I'm currently migrating from tdbsam to LDAP and want to restructure my setup
at the same time. I can get the SIDs for the user and machine accounts using
pdbedit -Lv | grep SID but I have 800 users so I don't want to reset their
passwords.

So far, I've dumped the contents of the tdbsam database into an smbpasswd
backup file and am running john-the-ripper across it. It's succeeding in
cracking the passwords but they only come out at max 8 characters and in
capitals. Has anyone got any experience with JTR and smbpasswd?

All advice gratefully received,

Jools