[Samba] NT4 -> Samba 3 migration issue

Hoover, Tony hoover at sal.ksu.edu
Fri Aug 4 21:39:04 GMT 2006

I am trying to Migrate one of our three Windows NT domains to Samba/LDAP
using CentOS 4.3 (up to date via 'yum update'),
Samba  3.0.10-1.4E.6.2,
OpenLDAP: slapd 2.2.13

uname -a
Linux sambatest.sal.ksu.edu 2.6.9-11.ELsmp #1 SMP Wed Jun 8 16:59:12 CDT
2005 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

----------------

I have followed the instructions in Chapter 9 of "Samba-3 by Example", but
when I restart my samba services after removing the old NT4 PDC from the
network, users cannot logon.

The trusted domains do not show up in the drop-down list on the logon screen
on the windows box.

If I try to login to the windows system as a domain user, I get a password
error.
If I try to login to my linux system as one of the migrated users, I get a
password error.

Changing the password of the user using smbldap-passwd allowed me to login
to either the windows domain or the linux system, but I still can not login
to one of the trusted NT domains.

I appears that passwords are not migrating.

Where do I look next???

Thanks in advance for any help...

Tony Hoover, Network Administrator
KSU - Salina, College of Technology and Aviation
(785) 826-2660

"Don't Blend in..."