[Samba] unable to resolve WERR_ACCESS_DENIED - please help

Steven Rice srice555 at yahoo.com
Fri Aug 4 17:42:26 GMT 2006

hi,

I'm trying to mirgate shares from a NT4 to a samba
3.0.22 server.  I understand that 'net rpc share add'
should work before trying 'net rpc share mirgate'.

I configured smb to use winbind which works great to
connect and writing to the shares.  I also confogured
nsswitch to auth to winbind, which works great too.  I
added entry for add|change|delete share command that
points to the standard modify_samba_config.pl script.

I took the liberty to edited the script so it logs the
time and arguments used when it ran.

When I try to run this command:

------------------------------------
net rpc share add TESTSHARE=/data/testshare -S
samba-srv -U Administrator%passwd
------------------------------------

Nothing is displayed, and an exit code 1 is returned.
Also, the add share script is not ran.  At "-d 3", I
see this:

------------------------------------
[2006/08/04 13:24:40, 5]
rpc_parse/parse_prs.c:prs_werror(792)
      0004 status: WERR_ACCESS_DENIED
[2006/08/04 13:24:40, 1]
utils/net_rpc.c:run_rpc_command(169)
  rpc command function failed!
(NT_STATUS_UNSUCCESSFUL)
of messages about this error message, but nothing that
has lead to resolution.  Can anyone point me in the
right direction?

Thank you for your time.