[Samba] Problem getting Status / Login used on a share using Samba 3.0.23a

VERMEEREN Sebastien deksan at gmail.com
Wed Aug 2 04:18:58 GMT 2006

Hi,
I am using samba 3.0.23a on linux server. The problem I m facing is as
follow :

1) client mount a volume using a login :
net use J: \\192.168.0.100\Share /user:login password

Volume is mounted and I can browse the files.

2) If i check net use the volume is mounted, but there is no status (that's
weird ) :
E:\>net use
New connections will be remembered.

Status       Local     Remote                    Network

             J:        \\192.168.0.100\Share
                                                 Microsoft Windows Network
OK           K:        \\192.168.0.10\Share2       Microsoft Windows Network

3) If I use the function WNetGetUser on Windows XP to retrieve the login
name, the function returns :

ERROR_NO_NET_OR_BAD_PATH None of the providers recognize the local name as
having a connection. However, the network is not available for at least one
provider to whom the connection may belong

We were using Samba 3.0.11 and had no problem at all. I have tried to switch
security=user or share but it doesnt help at all. The volume mounts but the
problem 2 and 3 are still present. I have searched on google but no clue :(

Thanks for your help.