[Samba] access database-file not visible

Andreas Muhs andreas.muhs at gmx.de
Wed Aug 2 21:19:14 GMT 2006

Hi,

on SuSE 9.3 Samba 3.0.13 works as file server, nothing else. 5 User working on
an Access 97 Database with datas of our custumers. The one databasefile is
located on the server. My boss sitting 700 km away in his home office dials
with fritz!data every weekend into a client (W2K) and loads this nearly 80 MB
big *.mdb file down. But several time ago this doesnt work anymore.

The file is invisible if he is logged in.

If I'm starting access on monday morning and he logs in he can see an download
the file. If the motivatet me is going on sunday to work and starting the
programm to note some forgotten datas, the mdb-file is also visible.

We (my boss and me) are working on this problem for a while.

As temporarily solution I made a copy every friday and he downloads this copy.
I do the copy with Windows Explorer and place it in the same location on the
server. Even this is an exact copy he can see and download it with
fritz!data.

We did expect to have a problem with the Norton Internet Security Firewall and
tried to get an answer from the technical support. -- please don't ask @(

To don't forget to copy the file, i wrote a shell-script and place it in the
crontab for executing every friday at 22:00.

But it is also invisible!

So I'm asking: Is Samba or Linux protecting the database and how can I change
this?

Greetings,

Andreas

--