[Samba] Problems with password change/LDAP

Linus Lund linus at island.liu.se
Wed Aug 2 16:41:38 GMT 2006

Hello,

I've just installed the Samba 3.0.23a on a Solaris 10 box, 64-bit
compiled. I'm running in to some problems though. When I try to change
the password of a use this is the output I get:
rroot at dune-sb0:/ >/usr/local/samba/bin/smbpasswd linus
New SMB password:

Retype new SMB password:

init_account_policy: Failed to grant privileges to BUILTIN\Administrators!
unknown fmt N
ldapsam_modify_entry: LDAP Password could not be changed for user linus:
Protocol error
        empty request data field
Failed to modify entry for user linus.
Failed to modify password entry for user linus

The first output, "init_account_policy: Failed to grant privileges to
BUILTIN\Administrators!" also gets logged in log.smb upon every start of
smbd.

I have all my users, UNIX as well as Samba stored in a LDAP db (OpenLDAP
2.2). I have had the same config working on Samba 3.0.14 (different box,
solaris 10, 32-bit compiled).

I've attached two logfiles, one is the log from a start of smbd and the
other is the output i get when running "smbpasswd -D 10 linus".

Anyone got any ideas?

Thanks,
Linus