[Samba] Bug in kernel-space samba client (3.0.23a) on FC5 (2.6.17-1.2157_FC5)

Jeremy Allison jra at samba.org
Wed Aug 2 01:08:28 GMT 2006

On Tue, Aug 01, 2006 at 05:25:25PM -0700, samba newbie wrote:
> On a client running FC5 with all packages updated from
> yum (running samba 3.0.23a-1.fc5.1 and the
> 2.6.17-1.2157_FC5 linux kernel), I cannot access
> multiple samba shares that have share-level security
> using cifs.
>
> This is clearly a bug in the samba 3.0.23a
> kernel-space client.

FYI: The CIFSFS kernel client is developed independently
of Samba, so Samba version numbers like 3.0.23a mean
nothing to cifsfs mounts - they are known by kernel
version numbers, not Samba version numbers.

> Can someone let me know if this has already been
> identified and even fixed in 3.0.23b?

See above. Having said that I'm not sure how much
testing Steve does with share level security. I'll
forward your message on to him.

> Accessing both shares through the user-space smbclient
> program works just fine.

The smbclient program is part of Samba, so it's
fair to use Samba version numbers like 3.0.23a
for that :-).

Jeremy.