[Samba] strangely lingering lock, samba 3.0.22

Logan Shaw lshaw at emitinc.com
Tue Aug 1 20:52:16 GMT 2006

On Tue, 1 Aug 2006, Jeremy Allison wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 01, 2006 at 03:35:09PM -0500, Logan Shaw wrote:

>> Today a user (call them 'abc') came to me and described the
>> following sequence of events:
>>
>> 1.  They opened an Excel file, made some changes, saved it, and
>>     closed it.
>>
>> 2.  They tried to open it again and got an error dialog within
>>     Excel that says this:
>>
>> 	    File in Use
>>
>> 	    FooBar.xls is locked for editing
>>
>> 	    by 'abc'.
>>
>> 	    Open 'Read-Only' or, click 'Notify' to open read-only
>> 	    and receive notication when the document is no longer
>> 	    in use.

> I added cleanup code for 3.0.23 that should fix this issue.
> You might want to try 3.0.23a to see if it fixes it.

Wow, Jeremy, thanks for the quick response.

It's a fairly important server, for us at least, so it's hard
to justify installing a release as a test unless the issue is
serious, which this isn't really.  So I'll probably wait until
3.0.23b (which seems like it could be more solid than 3.0.23
and 3.0.23a), but I will keep an eye out for this problem and
whether 3.0.23b fixes it when I install that.

   - Logan