[Samba] strangely lingering lock, samba 3.0.22

Logan Shaw lshaw at emitinc.com
Tue Aug 1 20:35:09 GMT 2006

Hello everyone,

Today a user (call them 'abc') came to me and described the
following sequence of events:

1.  They opened an Excel file, made some changes, saved it, and
     closed it.

2.  They tried to open it again and got an error dialog within
     Excel that says this:

 	    File in Use

 	    FooBar.xls is locked for editing

 	    by 'abc'.

 	    Open 'Read-Only' or, click 'Notify' to open read-only
 	    and receive notication when the document is no longer
 	    in use.

3.  They rebooted their desktop machine and tried again, and
     got the same dialog again.

No matter what they do, the file remains locked.  The same file
is locked for other Windows users and on other Windows computers
as well, so obviously there is some sort of state on the Samba
server that is telling the clients that the file is locked.

So, I logged into the Samba server (3.0.22 running on Slackware
10.2, with kernel 2.4.31), and tried to see if I could see any
evidence of a lock.  The file did not show up in the output of
"smbstatus --locks".  Running "fuser" on the file didn't show
that any process had it open.  So apparently no process has
it open on the Linux machine.

Also, I noticed that if I make a copy of the file on the Linux
machine ("cp FooBar.xls FooBar-new.xls"), the copy does not
retain the lock.  So, it would appear that this is not related
to the actual contents of the file.

I also tracked down the individual smbd that user abc's machine
is connected to and killed it.  Another one restarted, but
the lock was still not released.

For what it's worth, I have "oplocks = no" and "level2 oplocks =
no" in my smb.conf, so presumably this isn't an oplock issue.

Anyone have any ideas what's going on?  As far as I can tell,
this must be a server-related issue since all clients see
the file as locked, and it's apparently not an issue with the
contents of the file (like Excel writing some flag into the
actual file contents itself), but I can't find any indication
on the server that the file is locked.

   - Logan