[Samba] issues with folder redirection and synchronisation

Thierry Lacoste lacoste at univ-paris12.fr
Tue Aug 1 14:01:36 GMT 2006

I have a samba/ldap PDC with a netlogon share and a samba member server
(called sirius) with Profiles and homes shares (samba 3.0.14).
Each user in the LDAP database has its sambaHomeDrive attribute set to "H:".

I'm trying to follow
http://samba.org/samba/docs/man/Samba-Guide/happy.html#redirfold
to configure my XP Pro client.
It seems that I'm unable to have "folder redirection" AND "folder exclusion
from roaming profiles" work together.

After a fresh install of XP pro I use gpedit.msc to exclude "My documents"
from roaming profiles. Then I copy NTUSER.DAT from "Default User" to
the netlogon share. After joining XP to the domain everything works as
expected. Folders are roaming except "My documents".

Now I logon with a domain user and redirect his "My documents" folder to
"H:\Windows\My documents".
Then each time I logout I have a popup window saying:
synchronisation of \\Sirius\lacoste on Samba 3.0.14a (Sirius).

Also at the bottom left of every icon in "My documents" there is a blank
square with two blue arrows.

Can someone please explain what's going on?

Regards,
Thierry.