[Samba] What is the meaning of the output from smbstatus?

Jeremy Allison jra at samba.org
Sat Apr 29 20:02:12 GMT 2006

On Sat, Apr 29, 2006 at 09:17:57PM +0200, David Blomberg wrote:

> Will all logged in users be displayed at all times when I do "smbstatus
> -b"? The reason I ask is that users who are logged in occasionally
> disappear from the output of smbstatus, even though they are still logged
> in. Is this to be expected?

Yes, smbstatus shows current active connections to the smbd's on
the machine. Someone can have been authenticated to the PDC and
not have any active connections.

If you need auditing on logon/logoff you can get this info from
the logs, and we're in the process of adding an audit mechanism
(hi Gunther :-) into smbd.

Jeremy.