[Samba] smbd/oplock.c:oplock_timeout_handler(375) after samba

mrosamba at eastgranby.k12.ct.us mrosamba at eastgranby.k12.ct.us
Fri Apr 28 14:12:05 GMT 2006

> On Mon, Apr 24, 2006 at 05:14:14PM -0400, mrosamba at eastgranby.k12.ct.us
> wrote:
>> I recently upgraded from samba 3.0.10-1.fc3 to 3.0.21b-2 running on FC5.
>> Today was the first day of a typing class which uses the network version
>> of Mavis Beacon Typing which depends on file sharing.
>>
>> The users are hanging and then getting an error message during logging
>> into the product.  In /var/log/message, I can see the following message
>> for each user similar to:
>>

>> [2006/04/24 09:45:24.177906, 0]
>> smbd/oplock.c:oplock_timeout_handler(375)
>>   Oplock break failed for file mavis/Mavis15EEVNet/Mav15UserData/Ali
>> Johnson.rec -- replying anyway
>>
>> Each user has a different filename for the above message.
>>
>> Below is the smb.conf share.  Note the force user.
>
> I would suggest upgrading to 3.0.22 as there were some fixes
> in this area.
>
> Jeremy.

Hi Jeremy,

Last night I updated to Version 3.0.22-1.fc5.  Kernel is 2.6.15-1.2054_FC5.
I reenabled oplocks on the mavis share and when the class tried to execute
the Mavis typing program, it again locked up.

Based on Leonid Zeitlin's note in a similar thread, I then disabled kernel
oplocks and had the class try again.  They were all able to get in with no
oplock errors on the log.

The only software accessing these files is samba so I question whether it
is a kernel problem.  Also, with kernel oplocks = no, the oplocks on
logon.bat have disappeared.

Regards,

Mark Orenstein
East Granby (CT,USA) School System