[Samba] smb.conf(5) manpage suggestion re. idmap backend

Jonathan C. Detert detertj at msoe.edu
Fri Apr 28 13:29:48 GMT 2006

suggestion for minor improvement of the smb.conf manpage in the context
of the 'idmap backend' parameter.  At least as of v3.0.22 the manpage says:

        Finally,  using the idmap_ad module, the UID and GID can directly be
        retrieved from an Active Directory  LDAP  Server  that supports  an
        RFC2307 compliant LDAP schema. idmap_ad supports "Services for Unix"
        (SFU) version 2.x and 3.0.

        [ snip ]

        Example: idmap backend = idmap_ad

All the examples I found on the internet of how to use this show the
value being simply 'ad', as opposed to 'idmap_ad'.  I like 'ad' better
because it is not redundant.  Regardless, the man page
should be updated to state the legal possible values.  If both
'idmap_ad' and 'ad' are legal, then mention them both.  If only 'ad' is
legal, then fix the man page.
--
Happy Landings,

Jon Detert
IT Systems Administrator, Milwaukee School of Engineering
1025 N. Broadway, Milwaukee, Wisconsin 53202, U.S.A.