[Samba] samba 4 for home network sharing

F. Heitkamp heitkamp at ameritech.net
Fri Apr 28 12:04:15 GMT 2006

On Thu, 27 Apr 2006, Eric Warnke wrote:

> You can't get samba3 binaries to work with glibc 2.4 or the source code
> won't even compile under glibc 2.4?

The source code compiles fine.  The daemons (smbd,nmbd) both crash upon
startup with the same error.  I posted a message in March to this list and
also submitted a bug report (actually, a similar bug, 3084, has already
been submitted).

The bug I think has something to do with the way locales handling has
changed in glibc 2.4. I *think* the bug possibly is also trigged in some
perl code as well when using the "Locale::gettext" module but I have yet
to get proof that glibc 2.4 is the cause.  For Samba, you can look at the
bug report if you want.  Smbd/nmbd crash at gconv_db.c line 232.

Having said this, I don't have any confidence in all this because I am not
a genius and my system is kind of a mess.  It would be nice if someone
could tell me if samba 3.0 works with glibc 2.4 on their system.

Samba 4.0 seems to start up fine but with the config file examples I've
seen it is not clear if Samba 4. will work for me. I don't have a kerberos
authentication setup in my home network and it is unclear if I will need
this to run Samba 4.