[Samba] Permissions for share

Chris Boyd Chris.Boyd at usit.ie
Wed Apr 26 15:05:32 GMT 2006

Could you show me an ls on that share just to make things a little clear.
Thanks
Chris Boyd
Systems Engineer
USIT
19-21 Aston Quay
Dublin 2
Ireland

Tel: +353 1 6021670
Fax: +353 1 6771602
www.usit.ie
>>> "Eric Warnke" <ericew at gmail.com> 04/26/06 3:22 PM >>>
You have another option.

If you put all the user in a group, make appropriate changes to the
directory and smb.conf all the files will be "owned" but still editable by
anyone.  This will give a level of accountability since you can see who made
which file.  We use this scenario locally with much success.

http://www.udel.edu/topics/os/unix/general/groupsharing.html  *permission
changes for unix sharing of the directory, for samba sharing the directory
just needs to be owned by root:group and at least rwxrwx---.

Example [share] - from my own configs

[ritstaff]
        path = /network/rit/lab/ritstaff
        force group = ritstaff
        read only = No
        block size = 8192 # large share (eg >500g) OS X compatibility
        create mask = 0770
        directory mask = 0770
        valid users = @ritstaff  # very important

Cheers,
Eric

On 4/26/06, Chris Boyd <Chris.Boyd at usit.ie> wrote:

> Chris Boyd
> Systems Engineer
> USIT
> 19-21 Aston Quay
> Dublin 2
> Ireland
>
> Tel: +353 1 6021670
> Fax: +353 1 6771602
> www.usit.ie

copyrighted.  If you are not the intended recipient please
prohibited. USIT has scanned this email for viruses and
dangerous content and believes it to be clean. However,
virus scanning is ultimately the responsibility of the recipient.