[Samba] Re: quota on xfs on lvm doesn't work(?)

Christoph Peus cp at uni-wh.de
Mon Apr 24 09:20:48 GMT 2006

James Peach wrote:

> There's a couple of more obvious ways that trying to get quota information
> can fail.
>
> The first is in the XFS check. This requires either that the caller be
> root or that either
>
>     1. the caller is checking a user quota and the caller's effective
>        UID is the same as the UID for the user quota of interest
>
>     or 2. the caller is interested in a group quota and is a member of
> 	  of the group of interest
>
> Now, I would expect that if this check failed on the on a LVM device,
> it would also fail on a regular block device, given that the samba
> configuration is consistent. You can test this by adding "debug pid =
> yes" to smb.conf and checking the log messages to see whether smbd would
> pass the above checks.
>
> The other early check is done by the selinux code. This checks the
> "quotaget" capability (is this the right terminology?). I think this is
> more interesting, because I'm guessing that selinux could be configured
> to allow quotaget on one block device but not on another ...
>
> Am I on the right track?

Hmmm... does it matter that selinux support isn't activated in my kernel?
But to make it short: it turns out now that the problem disappears, when
I use the "real" device of the logical volume (/dev/mapper/export-lvol0)
in the mount command instead of the symbolic link /dev/export/lvol0 ->
/dev/mapper/export-lvol0
:-)

Is this a bug or a feature? Looks like a bug to me...

Christoph