[Samba] Default Posix ACLs are ignored when copying files between two directories using Windows (XP)

Fabio Muzzi liste at kurgan.org
Sun Apr 23 17:50:45 GMT 2006

Hello Jeffrey,

Saturday, April 8, 2006, 1:50:53 AM, you wrote:

JML> I'm seeing this exact same behavior on my Samba server. For what it's
JML> worth, I also see this same behavior with shares/folders on a Windows
JML> NT  system.  It  seems  Samba/Linux and Windows NT behave the same in
JML> this regard.

JML> One  thing  you  can  do  is  tell  your  users  to "copy" files from
JML> directory  A  to  directory  B,  then  delete the original files from
JML> directory  A.  It's annoyingly inconvenient, (and inefficient) but it
JML> works.

I did some tests and came to the same conclusions (that is, I need to copy
and  not  move files). I did not know that WinNT does the same, I supposed
it should have worked correctly.

I  really  don't have an elegant way of avoding this issue, because I also
have all directories with different ACLs on a single big file system.

Maybe  this issue should be discussed on the ACL list instead of the Samba
one.  A possible (horrible) workarond from a Samba perspective could be to
remap  "move"  operations  to  "copy  and  delete"  ones. Another (better)
workaround  involves  smbd  applying  default  ACLS to files when they are
moved  to  the destination directory. But again I suppose this is an issue
with file system ACL support, and not with Samba.

--

  Fabio "Kurgan" Muzzi