[Samba] Where SIDs In Old Old Samba?

Chuck Kollars ckollars9 at yahoo.com
Fri Apr 21 20:38:46 GMT 2006

I'm migrating from a very very old Samba (Cobalt Qube
Network Appliance, seemingly some 2.1... Samba
version). I've got over a hundred Windows XP clients
that have "joined" the existing domain. I want to
migrate all those memberships to the new Samba so I
don't have to visit every one of those client machines
individually. I think I know how  ...except I haven't
been able to find the SIDs of those machine domain
members. I have the name (with trailing $), the
uidNumber, and two passwords  ...but no SID.

This old Samba is so very old that `net idmap dump`
just says "command not found"; apparently there wasn't
even a `net ...` command in Samba back then. Can
somebody remember what file the SIDs might be in? (I
can probably get them out even if it's a binary file
or is base64 encoded. But I need to know THE FILE
NAME.)

So if you have a dim memory of what file the SIDs were
stored in way back then, please let me know.

tia!