[Samba] slapd.conf samba schema question

John H Terpstra jht at samba.org
Sat Apr 22 13:26:00 GMT 2006

On Saturday 22 April 2006 00:45, Glenn Arnold wrote:
> I am running samba 3.0.22 on RHES 3.0 and I currently have slapd.conf
> configured to use "include         /etc/openldap/schema/samba.schema" do
> I need to change the schema to samba3.schema?

The entry in slapd.conf must match the name your Linux distribution uses. So
if the RHES3 RPM provides the file samba3.schema, your entry must be:

	/etc/openldap/schema/samba3.schema

Make sure that the path to this file is correct also - of course!

> Why I ask this I have
> bought Samba 3 by example and the example for Suse Linux has use the
> samba3.schema.

Standards are wonderful - there are so many to choose from! I wish all people
would you the same nomenclature for the Samba schema file, all the time, but
I recognize that is "wishful" thinking!

> Logical I would think I would want to do this.  Should I
> update the slapd.conf to include samba3.schema?

It would be a good idea to use valid path and file details - if you want it to
work.

> Do I need to do anything
> to my LDAP database like reindex to the updated samba3.schema?

Only if there have been changes to the internal structure of the directory as
a result of updating the samba.schema file, in which case you should consider
dumping the directory contents to an ldif file and reloading the contents to
a freshly created directory.

> Without
> this samba3.schema is this why I am having problems changing passwords
> from windows workstations and User Manager for Domains not able to
> update user accounts in my Samba Domain?

Sorry, my crystal ball is worn out - you have not provided enough information.

- John T.