[Samba] Browsing Issues

Markus Iturriaga Woelfel miturria at cs.utk.edu
Fri Apr 21 19:23:08 GMT 2006

To give some more detail - everything *looks* like it should work. I can
use browstat (from the Win2k Resource Kit) on a Win2k system to cause an
election and nmbd becomes the master browser:

c:\> browstat elect 1 XXXXXXX

log.nmbd:
[2006/04/21 15:18:48, 2] nmbd/nmbd_elections.c:send_election_dgram(41)
  send_election_dgram: Sending election packet for workgroup XXXXXXX on
subnet 160.36.56.47
[2006/04/21 15:18:48, 2] nmbd/nmbd_elections.c:run_elections(201)
  run_elections: >>> Won election for workgroup XXXXXXX on subnet
160.36.56.47 <<<
[2006/04/21 15:18:48, 2]
nmbd/nmbd_become_lmb.c:become_local_master_browser(525)
  become_local_master_browser: Awaiting potential browser state. Current
state is 4

c:\> browstat status

Status for domain XXXXXXX on transport
\Device\NetBT_Tcpip_{3F81869C-F5D6-4A8A-A07
1-CFE1064B34EF}
    Browsing is active on domain.
    Master browser name is: THOTH
        Unable to determine build of browser master: 2
    \\\\THOTH         .  Version:04.09  Flags: 9a0b NT CONTROLLER SERVER
    1 backup servers retrieved from master THOTH
        \\THOTH
    There are 0 servers in domain XXXXXXX on transport
\Device\NetBT_Tcpip_{3F8186
9C-F5D6-4A8A-A071-CFE1064B34EF}
    There are 0 domains in domain XXXXXXX on transport
\Device\NetBT_Tcpip_{3F8186
9C-F5D6-4A8A-A071-CFE1064B34EF}

I jsut can't see any systems in the "Network Nighborhood". It shows the
domain but no members.

C:\>browstat view 1
Remoting NetServerEnum to \\THOTH on transport
\Device\NetBT_Tcpip_{3F81869C-F5D
6-4A8A-A071-CFE1064B34EF} with flags ffffffff
0 entries returned.  0 total. 10 milliseconds

Why are there no entries returned (I assume there should be)? browse.dat
and wins.dat are both well populated. I'd really appreciate some
help/hints. I think I've RTFM'ed but so far no luck. I've tried this
without any firewalls on clients/servers, and no luck.

Thanks,

Markus