[Samba] NT logon ok but XP logon very slow

Roel Slegers deroel at gmail.com
Fri Apr 21 13:34:34 GMT 2006

Hi,

Our environment: HP-UX 11.00 server / Samba 3.0.21a as PDC / OpenLDAP backend

We're developping a migration from AS/U to a Samba PDC.
Currently we have following problem: logging onto an NT4 workstation
is almost instantaneous, but when logging onto an XP workstation, this
happens:
(1) We type the user and password in Windows logon.
(2) Windows logon immediately accepts user and password, so far so good.
(3) Windows says "Please wait... Loading your personal settings..."
and we have to wait about one to two minutes. This is our problem.
(4) After these on to two minutes, logon continuous  normally, and
everything seems fine.

Furthermore, during the time that XP locks up, the corresponding smbd
process eats up the server's CPU at almost 100%!

These are the log.smbd messages during the locking up of XP and smbd:
[Fri Apr 21 15:25:29 2006
, 0] rpc_server/srv_netlog_nt.c:_net_sam_logon(665)
  _net_sam_logon: creds_server_step failed. Rejecting auth request
from client RSL4 machine account RSL4$
[Fri Apr 21 15:26:47 2006
, 0] smbd/server.c:open_sockets_smbd(394)
  open_sockets_smbd: accept: No buffer space available
[Fri Apr 21 15:26:50 2006
, 1] smbd/service.c:make_connection_snum(666)
  rsl4 (10.5.71.168) connect to service netlogon initially as user veron004 (uid
=517, gid=20) (pid 11053)

And as I already said: logging onto NT works fine.
Any ideas?