[Samba] Samba turning

Gardiner Leverett leverett at mobiusmicro.com
Wed Apr 19 17:18:40 GMT 2006

I have a two networks (across the country from each other) that are
connected
via ipsec through a Cicso pix.  There is samba running on a Linux machine
in the main office (call it office A) and users at the other office (B) need

to get to it.  After about three levels down, the response time back from
the server is very slow (as it appears to be caching the directory listing).

After as much as 60 seconds, the directory list appears. Going down further
sometimes causes another delay, but not all the time. Going back up the
tree may cause a delay as well.  Of the items I've been finding on line,
the problem is probably the tuning of the server in office A.  Local
users in office A see no problems.  The version I'm using is 3.0.21b-1
on RedHat 9.

Here is the smb.conf (global part) for that server (I have adding items to
the socket options list).  I have been experimenting with making this a
pdc, but I haven't implemented it yet.  If anyone has some suggestions
on how to fix this, I'd appreciate it.

-------------------

[global]
        name resolve order = wins lmhosts bcast
        winbind enable local accounts = no
        hosts allow = 192.168.0.0/24  192.168.5.0/24  192.168.10.0/24
127.0.0.1
        passwd program = /usr/bin/passwd %u
        dns proxy = no
        netbios name = KIDROCK
        logon script = netlogin.bat
        local master = yes
        workgroup = XXXXXX
        debug level = 1
        os level = 255
        socket address = 192.168.0.153
        hosts deny = 0.0.0.0/0
        security = user
        add machine script = /usr/sbin/useradd -d /var/lib/nobody -g 100 -s
/bin/false -M %u
        max log size = 50
        log file = /var/log/samba/log.smbd
        socket options = IPTOS_THROUGHPUT TCP_NODELAY SO_SNDBUF=8192
SO_RCVBUF=8192
        keepalive = 30
        logon drive = H:
        interfaces = eth0 lo
        domain master = yes
        username map = /etc/samba/smbusers
        encrypt passwords = yes
        wins proxy = no
        logon home = \\%L\profiles\%u\
        wins support = yes
        server string = mobius microsystem file server
        #kernel oplocks = false
        unix password sync = yes
        logon path = \\%L\profiles\%u\
        preferred master = yes