[Samba] unable to browse samba server with Win98, but it works with WinXP

Istvan Köpe istvan.kope at gmail.com
Wed Apr 19 14:10:23 GMT 2006

I solved the problem but I didn't know what caused it. Here is the new
smb.conf which works:
# Samba config file created using SWAT
# from 0.0.0.0 (0.0.0.0)
# Date: 2006/04/18 14:30:00

# Global parameters
[global]
        workgroup = HIDRAULICA
        server string = Server
        security = SHARE
        log file = /var/log/samba/%m.log
        max log size = 50
        read only = No
        guest ok = Yes

[server]
        path = /data/samba
[mb]
        path = /data/mb

I suspect 2 things:
1. path = /data/samba, was in the [global] section, insead of [server] section
2. guest account = smbguest, where smbguest user was created by me.