[Samba] Domains and Windows Update

Adam Williams awilliam at mdah.state.ms.us
Tue Apr 18 14:02:55 GMT 2006

I've got several dozen Windows XP Pro computers in a Samba/Windows
Domain.  The problem is that with them being in the domain, automatic
updates does not work on these computers.  I think its because the
people log into the computers with the default windows domain
restrictions (you know, can't install anything, can't adjust the time on
the clock, can't update drivers, etc).  Having staff use IE to go to
http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com does not work either, due to
permissions.  Are there any solutions to this so that automatic updates
can run?