[Samba] Adding a GNU/Linux client to a FreeBSD Domain controller

Gary Dale garydale at torfree.net
Thu Apr 13 12:24:00 GMT 2006

വിവെക്.വി.സി Vivek Varghese Cherian wrote:

>I am trying to add a GNU/Linux client to a FreeBSD domain controller running
>Samba. Can some one guide as to how to go about it ?
>
>I have managed to add Microsoft Windows 2000 clients to the domain but would
>like to have some guidance on how to go about adding GNU/Linux clients.
>
>I did a bit of searching and could not find a simple how to. A reference URL
>of sorts would help.
>
>Thanks in advance.
>
>--
>Vivek Varghese Cherian
>Free as in Freedom  <www.gnu.org>

I'd suggest that the fact the server is running FreeBSD is likely
irrelevent. What you need to do is to have your workstation authenticate
through the proper PAM modules. However, this also means that your
server needs to be able to service the PAM requests. If you look at

http://us4.samba.org/samba/docs/man/Samba-Guide/unixclients.html#id2564417

you will find that using a tdbsam backend is possible but rather
fragile. LDAP is a more robust solution.