[Samba] Is Samba Acting as a BDC

Larry McElderry larry at ptcoupling.com
Tue Apr 11 19:00:30 GMT 2006

I believe I've set up a machine as a BDC for a Samba PDC and I'm trying to test that.  Doc sources are the Samba3 Howto and Samb3 by
example.

net lookup dc (run on bdc or other samba server)lists 2 IP's that indicate that it is in fact a BDC.
net  lookup dc
172.21.1.10
172.21.1.30

However nltest on an XP machine reveals:
C:\>nltest /dclist:CMT
Domain 'CMT' is pre Windows 2000 domain.  (Using NetServerEnum).
List of DCs in Domain CMT
    \\SUZY (PDC)
The command completed successfully

This indicates only PDC (Suzy 172.21.1.30).

Furthermore running net lookup dc from the PDC shows:
>net lookup dc
172.21.1.30

Which do I believe?

Here's the config from the alleged BDC:
[global]
    workgroup = CMT
    interfaces = eth1, lo
    bind interfaces only = Yes
    #server string = "Sales"
    printing = cups
    printcap name = cups
    printcap cache time = 750
    cups options = raw
    username map = /etc/samba/smbusers
    wins server = suzy
    map to guest = nouser
    logon path =
    logon home =
    logon drive =
    encrypt passwords = yes
    passdb backend = ldapsam:ldap://localhost ldapsam:ldap://suzy
    ldap admin dn = cn=Manager,dc=ptcoupling,dc=com
    ldap idmap suffix = ou=Idmap
    ldap user suffix = ou=People
    ldap suffix = dc=ptcoupling,dc=com
    ldap machine suffix = ou=People