[Samba] does samba support multiple domains?crucial issue for ISP company

Tue Apr 11 06:45:59 GMT 2006

On Mon, Apr 10, 2006 at 03:48:04PM +0800, Qin Zhen wrote:
> we are an ISP companies running proxy, so the domains we
> need to work on are large amount, keeping increasing, and
> moreover belonging to different companies. so whether
> samba supports multiple domains is an important issue for
> us to decide whether to adopt samba with proxy. i googled
> online and found some notion that samba doesnt support
> multiple domains unless multiple instances of samba are
> installed. is it true? pls kindly advise. thanks a lot in
> advance.

Assuming you want winbind to authenticate for squid using
ntlm, then the only way is to install a new domain that
trusts all the other domains. This can then be either a
real windows domain that your proxies are member of or you
install samba as a domain controller and have winbind look
for the DC's it trusts itself.

Volker